My Favorite Find!

Have you ever seen a GIGANTIC PINK French paper mache pig before? I hadn't...tee hee. I was perusing an antique show and this enormous pig stopped me in my tracks! This life-size (5 ft. tall) paper mache pig is from France, c. 1930's. I just had to buy it.

The brass plaque reads, "Je Donne une Truffe Mettez 1 fr, 'I give a truffle put 1 franc." The humorous twist being that hunters in France used pigs to sniff out truffles. But, from what I heard, once the pigs found them, they ate them!

Originally mechanical, the head of this pig would nod and the truffle would come out between his legs. The mechanics are not original but still work if plugged in. Hilarious to see the head bob. I'm guessing that this was in a shop and that some sort of candy/chocolate probably came out. I doubt it would be truffles, as in mushrooms, don't you?

Wouldn't this be a "show stopper" display piece for a specialty food store or candy shop? Heck, I'd like it in my living room!

So, what a fun find for me (and my friend that I bought it with). It's for sale here on 1st Dibs in my friend's shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment