And I Thought it Was From Aging...

Do you ever feel like you're just floating from thing to thing? Forgetting a thought in mid-stream?

Today I read (actually listened) to this interesting article on NPR about Nicolas Carr's latest book, The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains. It kind of scared me actually. Carr started research for The Shallows after he noticed a change in his own ability to concentrate. Hmm...

I assumed that my bouts of forgetfulness were due to aging. I'm constantly forgetting a thought during the middle of a sentence, or on my way to do something only to forget what it was!

Whether it's the internet or simply aging, I can tell you this. Some distractions make me a bit nuts such as...

really small typeset on websites or blogs so you have to squint to read it...

Perhaps if the font was larger, we would be able to focus better.

Reading words against a black background. That kinda drives me crazy.


Ads that pop up and flash in the middle of your screen out of nowhere!


Those are just a few. We each have our own internet "pet peeves." I haven't figured out a remedy except to read more books and magazines, and of course, your wonderful blogs. And, take walks away from the computer. I refuse to get a Kindle. Ever.

Thanks for letting me vent. I was really thinking it was an age thing, which it could very well be, but the jury's still out on that one. I am off to read a book...the kind with pages that you can turn.


And speaking of books, The Shallows sounds like an interesting read. You can purchase it online here.

Have a great rest of the week!


No comments:

Post a Comment