a few of my Favorite Things...

As an antiques dealer, I'm constantly asked, "How do you part with this?" That's a good question. I think most of us started out as collectors and have a difficult time selling our acquisitions. I only purchase what I like, so it's really hard to sell it. And unique items are becoming more difficult to find, so it's even tougher!

I thought I'd share some favorite finds that I can't part with. At least for now...

I recently acquired this old silverplate chatelaine notebook from the "Grand Restaurant" in Brussels. It has so much detail...I'm crazy for it!

the menu printed on the back...how cute it that?

AND it's a note pad. Never seen one like it before. It's a keeper...

I LOVE vintage trophies and have a small collection of them. This one reads, "Awarded to Parisian Cloak Company for Best Dressed Store Window." I use it for fresh flowers...

and this 1930's trophy from the Catskill Mountains for a "Bathing Beauty Contest"

I stumbled upon these 19th century mercury glass apothecary jars at a flea market. I was planning on selling them, but I have to hang on to them for awhile...

I found this French top hat with a prize ribbon and it must stay...

Then there are my San Francisco collections, such as this antique souvenir cup...

...and my prized oil paintings of San Francisco. Over the years I have amassed about 8 paintings of the Cliff House and Golden Gate Bridge. Some are really small and charming. They are all done by amateur artists, and that makes them even more special...

Many years ago I purchased this colorful, whimsical oil painting of a tourist in Paris. It's so quirky...

another painting that I cherish, c. 1960's...

I purchased this huge map at a San Francisco antiques store...

My Great-Grandfather was a woodcarver in San Francisco and carved for many of the churches, as well as Hearst Castle at San Simeon. These are just a couple of relics of his that I treasure. I found them in my aunt's basement...

This old French vanity piece was given to me by a dear friend and holds a special place...

I love anything hotel-related, so I flipped when I found this old wooden room sign at an antiques show. It is permanently glued to the second bedroom door, so I guess it's staying!

Thanks for letting me play "show and tell."

What are some "favorite things" that you can't part with? I'd love to hear! If you have any photos to share, please e-mail them and I'll post on this blog!

149058064743902877

No comments:

Post a Comment