The New French Decor


Some time ago I posted about the book, The New Eighteenth Century Style, by journalist and interior decorator Michele Lalande and photographer Gilles Trillard. It is a must-have for anyone who appreciates antique objects and French decor. Last year Lalande and Trillard published their second book, The New French Decor: Living with Timeless Objects.

I hadn't seen the book in person and my friend Janet heard it was fabulous, so we both placed an order with Amazon. There was a 6 month delay due to publishing issues, but we finally received our books the other day! It's just as great as I anticipated with pages and pages of gorgeous photographs of old French furniture and objets d' art.

This decor may be impractical and a bit cluttered for our modern-day lifestyle, but it certainly gives you inspiration on how to pair different objects of curiosity to create a unique and personal look. Much of the look in the book is what I try to emulate in my home and the type of objects that I sell on my website. Take a look at some photos from the book. Remember, you can click on the photos for enlarged images...


One of my favorite photos in the book... old cut-out photographs mounted on wood decorate a cupboard of antique glasses

Old Pharmacy bottles used as vases and a flower holder used as a candleholder

Astier dinnerware with a garden bouquet.


I love decorating with old apothecary bottles, portraits and worn leather books.



19th Century glass domes and gesso picture frames always add a touch of whimsy.

Love this shot of an angel by sculpturer Corinne Forget, levitating in the corner of a bedroom in front of gilded mirrors.


An old fireplace mantle with plaster fragments



Collections look great in groupings such as old ivory instruments in glasses or silver flatware in champagne buckets. Old "ghosted" mirrors add a great backdrop as well.
I love the look of antique desk accessories and old ephemera


If you're daring, animals always add an element of surprise as does this resin elephant over a dining table.

Various taxidermy molds

An assortment of early French board games

19th century portraits make a nice backdrop for artifacts related to the paintings and their colors


Above: kitchen with assorted ironstone and an antique English telescope with compasses and other instruments

Unfortunately my photos don't do the book justice. You can purchase both Lalande books here at Amazon.


All photos from The New French Decor
4767718810166523225

2 comments:

  1. I love this french decor so classic and elegant. My pleasure to see this post. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing decor. It is so wonderful. French decor is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete